As fall turns to winter, you may well be wishing that you could hibernate until spring, but there are some things you can do to bring a little bit of warmth and joy into your home during this cold and dreary period. Here are some tips so you can make a delightful day out of drab weather.
- Light a Scented Candle – I love to celebrate each season with a scented candle to match. For fall, pumpkin spice candles are a great choice. They not only add that nice warm glow to your home, but they fill the air with an aroma that symbolizes all of the best parts of fall. Moving into winter why not switch up for some winter pine candles to fill you with Christmas spirit.
- Create the Perfect Hot Drink – When it’s cold outside, there is nothing better than snuggling under a warm blanket on the couch with a nice cup of your favourite hot beverage. Hot chocolate with marshmallows, mulled wine or a hot toddy are a few examples. Whatever excites your taste buds. Spend some time perfecting your favourite recipes and show them off to your friends when they visit.
- Get Baking – Comfort food is a bonus element to help create a cozy environment. Look through your favourite cookbook or scroll through some baking sites to get some inspiration. Baking will flood your home with festive aromas as well.
- Add Texture – Plump cushions, throw blankets and rugs can create an inviting living space. Texture adds depth and helps add coziness to a home. Try a plush throw over the arm of a sofa and extra-large cushions to snuggle up to while watching your favourite movie. Rugs on top of a hardwood floor can help to add warmth and keep those tootsies toasty.
- Get out the Board Games – Get your partner to put that remote control down and the kids to turn off their video games, gather around the table or next to the fireplace with some good old-fashioned board games. Even a simple deck of cards can bring the family together and get those competitive juices flowing.
- Decorate for the Holidays – Decorating for the holidays is an easy, cozy home hack. Whether it is fall, Christmas or Easter, get some decorations on display to help make your home feel warmer and more inviting.
- Embrace Sweater Weather – Put that summer wardrobe away and embrace your winter wardrobe. Getting cozy in my favourite sweater or housecoat is my favourite part of fall and winter. I love summer but when summer is over, I look forward to layering up. If you don’t have a favourite sweater, then it’s time to find one! Don’t forget your fuzzy pyjamas, socks and slippers too.
- Change to Warm Lighting – Changing your lightbulbs to a warm glow rather than a cool white can drastically change the look and feel of your home. Bright-white lightbulbs are great for a staged and elegant feel but you may want a warmer atmosphere as the weather turns colder. String lights accompanying warm bulbs can create a wonderful glow for any space
Thank you for taking the time to read this article. I hope you have found it helpful. If you are looking for more ways to spruce up your home please check out some of our other decorating articles. Follow on Facebook to get notifications of our weekly Blog Posts!
RE/MAX Hallmark Chay Realty Inc. Brokerage